State, defense differ on Maine girl's competenceAP , Associated Press
Feb. 1, 2014 10:57 AM ET
SKOWHEGAN, Maine (AP) — Prosecutors and defense lawyers for a 12-year-old Maine girl charged with manslaughter of an infant are disagreeing over whether she is ready to go to trial.
The Fairfield girl is charged with manslaughter in the September 2012 death of a 3-month-old baby who was staying at the home of the girl's mother, who was babysitting her.
The infant's mother was told she died from suffocation and had trace amounts of a medication that the girl was taking in her system.
Twice last year a Maine judge ruled that the girl was incompetent to stand trial.
The Morning Sentinel (http://bit.ly/1eg6WT2 ) reports that a prosecutor said Friday there's more evidence that she's now competent to stand trial.
But her attorney disagreed saying while she's shown some growth, she is still not ready.
Information from: Morning Sentinel, http://www.onlinesentinel.com/