Springfield man files suit against city, policeAP , Associated Press
Jan. 30, 2014 6:02 AM ET
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) — A Springfield man wrongly convicted of a 2008 killing and who spent three years behind bars before being acquitted at his second trial has filed a civil rights lawsuit against the city and two police officers.
Charles Wilhite says in his lawsuit filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Springfield that the officers threatened and coerced witnesses, who later recanted. The suit says police prodded people to represent themselves as eyewitnesses when they were not, and pressured others into making photo identifications of Wilhite.
Wilhite was convicted in the 2008 shooting of Alberto Rodriguez. He was acquitted at his second trial last year.
The Republican (http://bit.ly/1bADNf5 ) reports that the suit seeks unspecified financial damages.
A police spokesman defended the officers in question as "good, dedicated police officers." A city lawyer refused comment.
Information from: The Springfield (Mass.) Republican, http://www.masslive.com/news/