Turkey fryer blamed for Gardner fireAP , Associated Press
Nov. 29, 2013 12:00 PM ET
GARDNER, Mass. (AP) — Fire officials say a Gardner man had to pull his girlfriend through the window of their basement apartment to save her from a fire started by their turkey fryer.
Lt. Michael Boris says firefighters who were called to the Pleasant Street apartment at about 4:30 p.m. Thursday were told a woman was trapped. The apartment is the only occupied unit in the building.
When firefighters arrived they found the turkey fryer, propane tank and side of the house burning, but the woman was already outside thanks to her boyfriend, who had to smash a window to get her out.
The Telegram & Gazette (http://bit.ly/18skXv2 ) reports that the woman was checked out by ambulance personnel at the scene but refused hospitalization.
Boris estimated damage to the building at $60,000.
Information from: Telegram & Gazette (Worcester, Mass.), http://www.telegram.com