Boston man's murder-for-hire trial to beginAP , Associated Press
Aug. 20, 2013 3:03 AM ET
WORCESTER, Mass. (AP) — A 74-year-old Boston man accused of trying to hire the killing of a prosecutor in his drunken driving case is going on trial.
Pernell Powell was charged two years ago with trying to hire his former cellmate to kill an unnamed Worcester state prosecutor for $4,000. The prosecutor wasn't harmed.
Jury selection in Powell's trial on a federal murder for hire charge begins Tuesday in Worcester. Powell has pleaded not guilty.
The Telegram & Gazette reports (http://bit.ly/16DTsN0) Powell was sentenced last year in the state drunken driving case to three to four years in prison. He could face up to 10 years on the federal charge.
The investigation began when a jail inmate told the FBI that Powell wanted a prosecutor killed. Prosecutors said they tracked money orders Powell allegedly sent to pay for the planned killing.
Information from: Telegram & Gazette (Worcester, Mass.), http://www.telegram.com