5-Hour Energy undecided on sticking with MWRBy DAN GELSTON , Associated Press
Sep. 22, 2013 2:57 PM ET
LOUDON, N.H. (AP) — Michael Waltrip Racing is still seeking a sponsorship boost from 5-Hour Energy.
The president of the energy shot company refused Sunday to give a firm commitment that 5-Hour Energy would remain with MWR and sponsor Clint Bowyer's car in 2014.
"We'll see how the year plays out," company president Scott Henderson said Sunday at New Hampshire.
Michael Waltrip said Friday he expected 5-Hour Energy to remain with MWR.
But Henderson, who had a friendly chat with Bowyer before the race, made it seem like no decision was made.
"There's a lot of talk about integrity," he said. "When the guy who's in charge can say, 'I can do whatever I want and I'm going to do it and I just did,' I wonder about integrity. I want to make sure we can win in this sport, OK?"
He then walked off.
It was unclear if he was referring to Brian France, who said last week as NASCAR chairman he had the authority to expand the Chase field to 13 drivers to accommodate Jeff Gordon. France also lectured the drivers about restoring credibility and integrity to NASCAR following the Richmond debacle.
NAPA Auto Parts said Thursday it will end its multimillion-dollar sponsorship of MWR at the end of the year, the latest fallout from the team's attempt to manipulate a race to get Martin Truex Jr. into NASCAR's version of the playoffs.
Aaron's, sponsor of Brian Vickers for MWR, said it remains dedicated to the organization.
MWR was also fined $300,000, general manager Ty Norris was suspended indefinitely and all three crew chiefs for its drivers were placed on probation for the rest of the year.