People in the NewsAP , Associated Press
Jan. 18, 1986 12:52 PM ET
CATANIA, SICILY CATANIA, Sicily (AP) _ Opera star Katia Ricciarelli celebrated her 40th birthday Saturday by marrying popular Italian television host Pippo Baudo in a civil ceremony.
More than a thousand people - not all of them invited - jammed the town hall of Militello, a village outside Catania on Sicily's eastern coast, as 27- year-old Mayor Vincenzo Oliva performed the ceremony.
News of the wedding made the front page of nearly all Italian newspapers Saturday; some called it ''the wedding of the year.''
A reception followed in the town hall atrium, with 4,000 small cakes, a 10- layer wedding cake and spumante.
On Sunday, the couple will travel to Moscow, where Miss Ricciarelli is to perform. She just finished appearing in Giuseppe Verdi's opera ''Jerusalem'' in Parma.
Baudo, 50, just completed a season as host of the popular variety program, ''Fantastico 5.''
It is the first marriage for Miss Ricciarelli and the second for Baudo.
--- Laserphoto HK1
MACAO (AP) - Actor Sean Penn and his bodyguard were questioned by police Saturday about an alleged assault on a local journalist who took a picture of Penn's wife, the rock singer Madonna.
Both the American actor and his bodyguard covered their heads with their jackets as they entered the Judiciary building, where a dozen photographers were waiting.
Police said the two men were questioned by Superintendent Telmo da Conceicao Sequeira in connection with a complaint made by Leonel Borralho, 61, a stringer for the Hong Kong Standard.
Borralho said he was attacked by Penn and the bodyguard after taking a picture of Madonna and that he suffered bruises on the neck.
Police declined to say if the two men would be charged with any offense or whether they would have to undergo further questioning.
Penn and his wife are in this Portuguese colony shooting a movie called ''Shanghai Surprise,'' in which she plays a missionary and Penn plays a street-smart entrepreneur.
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Vernon Bellecourt, a leader of the American Indian Movement in Minnesota, says he visited Libya with six other Indian activists in August and that he plans to return soon.
Bellecourt, former secretary-treasurer of the White Earth Indian Reservation, said Friday that he was part of a delegation that visited Libya for a week.
''We traveled throughout the country,'' he said. ''We met with high government officials. ... Our trip to Libya was to extend our hands in peace and friendship to the Libyan people.'' He said Libya invited the group.
Bellecourt said that the delegation did not meet with Libyan leader Moammar Khadafy.
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Singer Luther Vandross, injured in a Hollywood Hills car crash that killed one man and injured four people, is expected to be released from Cedars-Sinai Medical Center this weekend, a hospital spokesman said.
''He's in good condition,'' hospital spokesman Ron Wise said Friday.
Vandross, 34, sustained broken ribs and facial cuts in the Jan. 12 crash of his Mercedes-Benz on winding Laurel Canyon Boulevard near Mulholland Drive, 12 miles northwest of downtown.
Investigators said last week they were uncertain whether charges would be filed against Vandross, who police said was driving at 48 mph in a 35 mph zone.
Police initially asked the district attorney's office to charge Vandross with vehicular manslaughter. The case was referred to the city attorney Tuesday because there was no evidence a felony had been committed, said district attorney's spokesman Al Albergate.
Lawrence Salvemini, 27, of West Hollywood, a passenger in Vandross' car, was killed when the car collided with two oncoming vehicles, police Detective Frank Rodriguez said.
Also injured were Salvemini's 15-year-old brother, Jimmy; Ilona Lotourette, 64, of Sherman Oaks; Joann Murphy, 54, of Sherman Oaks, and Abraham Kostenboyn, 48, of West Hollywood.
There was no evidence Vandross was under the influence of alcohol or drugs, Rodriguez said.
Vandross was recently nominated for a Grammy for best male rhythm and blues performance for ''The Night I Fell in Love.''
HONOLULU (AP) - Former Apollo astronaut Edwin ''Buzz'' Aldrin suggests ''trolley'' systems could one day shuttle back and forth between Earth and the moon, where he took a walk in 1969, and even to Mars.
''Like space trolley cars, they would continue in perpetual cycles among the planets, picking up and dropping off detachable transfer vehicles or taxis, which carry crew and supplies from the surface of each planet,'' Aldrin said.
Aldrin said the trolley systems could use gravity as a slingshot back and forth. He estimated a trip between Earth and Mars could take as little as five months using the technique.
Aldrin spoke Friday at an East-West Center meeting of President Reagan's advisory panel on the U.S. space program.