Two More Convicted In $11 Million Cash RobberyAP , Associated Press
Mar. 7, 1985 11:26 PM ET
NEW YORK (AP) _ Two more men were found guilty Thursday night on charges arising from the theft of $11 million from the Sentry Armored Car Co., the largest cash robbery in U.S. history.
Less than $2 million of the loot has been recovered.
Nicholas Gregory, 41, an alleged mastermind of the December 1982 robbery who was a fugitive for two years, was convicted of bank robbery, interstate transportation of stolen goods, conspiracy and theft of food stamps, said Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert Garcia.
Gregory faces a possible 30 years in prison.
Gerassimo ''Captain Mike'' Vinieris, 35, who was charged with helping to hide some of the loot, was convicted of interstate transportation, conspiracy and making false statements to investigators, Garcia said. He faces a possible 25-year sentence.
Sentencing for both was set for April 12.
Another man, Howard Marshall, 35, was acquitted of charges of conspiracy and two counts of perjury.
FBI agents had said they found $20,000 that had been taken in the robbery at a jewelry business owned by Marshall.
The jury deliberated for two days before reaching its verdict.
The key witness against Gregory and Vinieris was Eddie Argitakos, one of three men convicted earlier in the case. He drew a 15-year sentence and acknowledged that he hoped to have it reduced by cooperating with authorities.
Argitakos testified that he and four other men, including Gregory and Chris Potamitis, a Sentry guard also convicted in the earlier case, took five months to plan the robbery.
He described a meeting a month before the theft at which the group discussed the case and Potamitis drew a diagram of the Sentry headquarters.
Before the $11 million theft, the previous record cash theft in the United States was the $5.8 million in cash and jewelry stolen from the Lufthansa cargo area at Kennedy International Airport in December 1978.